/ /

1935 Ford Custom Hot Rod Flathead Westergard

  • Make: Ford
  • Model: 5 Window Coupe
  • Type: Coupe
  • Year: 1935
  • VIN: 181460922
  • Color: Black
  • Engine size: 59A Flathead V*
  • Number of cylinders: 8
  • Fuel: Gasoline
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Drive type: RWD
  • Interior color: Black
  • Drive side: Left-hand drive
  • Vehicle Title: Clear
  • Location: Concord, New Hampshire, United States


1935 Ford Five Window Custom "Taildragger" Harry Westergard Style. I've had this car kicking around for about nine years, and I've realized that I lack the time, and at his point the ambition, to finish it. I started with a very solid car that was basically a mediocre restoration. There was almost no rust and there's not a single replacement panel on this body. We were super particular about getting the chop proportions just right, and settled on 3.5" in the back, and 3.75" in the front. The rear of the frame is dropped 10", and there's a brand new 4" dropped front axle. Springs and shackles are new. It's got a freshly rebuilt 59A flathead with the 4" stroke Mercury crank. Honestly, I can't recall the bore, though. It's got an Isky cam and springs, and I've got the spec sheet for the cam. It's got Ross pistons, brand new valves, and brand new just about everything else aside from the block, heads, intake, connecting rods, and rebuilt Holley 94 carbs. All machine work was done by R&L Engines in Dover NH. The motor is connected to a brand new World Class T5 (I think it's a '95), which is connected to a custom driveshaft, which is connected to a banjo that was totally rebuilt with parts from Hot Rod Works. All new custom brake lines connect to '40 drums. Cloth wrapped modern wiring is run throughout, but not completely finished (I drew a diagram that I'll send along). New aluminum Fuel tank is in the trunk, and lines are already run. I reduced the trim on the hood sides from four to three, because odd numbers look better. I shortened the stock tail stands, and eliminated the gas filler hole on one. I stretched out the stock headlight buckets a couple inches and created compound curved bases, so the sit right down snug onto the fenders. I included a bunch of build pics, so you can see the quality of machine work, welding, body metal finishing, etc. Here's the deal: Welding, fabrication, engine and driveline building and assembly, and sheet metal work are all well in my wheelhouse. Paint is not, but I figured I’d have a go at this one to save some dough. I laid down the paint, and while it looks fine in pictures, the paint and the filler beneath just weren't straight enough for my standards. So, I started chasing my tail, lost interest, and seven years later, the pictures with part paint, part filler and primer are where it's at right now. It's a project car that's three or four weeks of work away from being a pretty spectacular car. It's been wheeled in and out to make room for other projects, and while it's always been covered, condensation has formed light surface rust on a few raw steel parts. Nothing that rust eater wouldn't make short work of. And it's not running quite yet. There are a few puzzles to solve, like: Positioning the generator (rebuilt) so it doesn't interfere with the existing radiator. Making a release for the trunk lid which is currently opened with a wire running into the passenger compartment. Comes with stock bumpers, glass, new seals for the glass and trunk, garnish moldings and extra garnish moldings. I'm sure I've forgotten a few things that I customized, and I'll add as I remember. Feel free to hit me with questions. I'll ship anywhere, but I don't have time to provide endless shipping quotes, so please work that out on your end. Cheers!